Saturday, May 8, 2010

Utah Trip

Since I've been home for almost a month, it's about time I wrote about my trip to Utah with Ryan. :)

Sadly, "Spring Break" in Utah looked like this... Even though it was April it snowed about 1/2 the days we were there! It would warm up and melt quickly every time, but it wasn't warm enough to want to be outside. (It WAS beautiful, though.) Ryan was miserably sick for a week so we wouldn't have done much anyway. I think we took the snow there with us, because when we talked to Adam on Skype he told us it was like summer at home and that he'd gone golfing. In April in NS? Hello?

First we stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Thompson. We had lots of fun with them, and, as always, felt very loved. Grandma had any kind of toy imaginable for Ryan to play with and he liked getting her attention. He'd run to the stairs to greet Grandpa when he came home so they could play. It was just like how he greets Adam when he comes home from school. So sweet.


On Easter we got together with my extended family for a dinner. Grandpa (my dad) got to show Ryan my uncle's horses. He LOVED them (though he called them dogs the whole time).
Ryan liked getting lots of attention on the trip. He wanted to help Grandma exercise in the morning, play with his cousins, and get lots of tickles and kisses from Aunt Becky.


I cut all three of my nephews' hair. Here is Chris mid-cut. :)



My parents recently completed a 5-week colon cleansing process. I gave it a go while I was there. I had 3 cleansing appointments with the hydrotherapist. In the mean time, I had to stick to a strict diet of juice and spring water only. This facilitates flushing everything out. I did it for 4 1/2 days and I don't know HOW my parents did it for 5 weeks. The following shows my mound of veggies required for my juice. It is for 2 servings since I drank a lot more than my parents did. (Though I drank less and less each day...) For anyone interested, here is the list of ingredients (all organic) for the drink:
3 carrots
1 stalk celery
1 broccoli spear
1/2 leaf chard
1/2 leaf kale
2 dandelion leaves
1/4 cucumber
1/4 beet
1/2 lemon
1 inch ginger
1 slice black raddish
handful cilantro
1/2 apple
Actually, I didn't use any dandelion leaves because the store that carries all these organic ingredients didn't have it at the time. The shipment they'd received was bad. Also, my parents didn't get to have the apple in theirs, but I was allowed the change because of my speedy, mini-cleanse. My mom swears the apple made my drink completely different than theirs.


The truth is, the drink isn't that bad. It's just when you have to drink ONLY it all day for days on end. After one day I'd definitely had enough, and this is my triumphant face for my final drink at the end of my 4 1/2 days!!!



As a side note, though I wasn't doing the detox as an attempt at weight loss, I did lose a few pounds and reached my pre-pregnancy weight. That was pretty exciting. :) I'm sure returning to a normal diet now might have changed that, but I wouldn't know since I don't have a working scale.



While I did my ceansing appointments my mom played with Ryan. He loved this park she took him to and couldn't get enough of the sand.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I could do the colon cleanse...you're a brave girl! Sorry Ryan was under the weather when you were there and about the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pics!
    and I want to try this smoothie detox thing -
    is the beet just a raw beet?
    why did you have the apple and not your mom?

    ReplyDelete