Thursday, April 14, 2011

All About Ryan

(Occasionally Adam feels the need to put gel in Ryan's hair. Ryan thought this was particularly awesome.)


I thought this time around I'd give you a little Ryan cuteness. My parents are always nagging me to write down funny things Ryan says, so I thought I'd mention a few here.

My dear little child has some serious attitude. Any time he hears something he doesn’t want to hear his pointer finger comes out wagging while his eyes furrow in warning and anger, “Don’t SAY about it!”

Two weeks ago we were Skyping with Grandma. Her image froze a few times, and after we were done talking Ryan was very concerned. “Grandma is frozen!” he said. We tried to explain that it was just her picture and that she was alright. Then during Family Night we played “Frozen, Unfrozen”. Ryan loved the game, and set all the terms himself. “Frozen!” he’d yell, and freeze. Then he’d give a big smile and say, “All better,” and go back to moving. He was in the middle of saying the Family Night prayer, and stopped suddenly to say, “I’m frozen. I can’t pray.” When he was headed to bed he said, “I’ll be frozen again sometime next week on Saturday.”

Ryan’s been very interested in all the Easter candy he sees at the store lately and keeps whining for it. I explained to him that later in the month was Easter and a special Easter Bunny would come and leave him treats. He’s been talking about it daily ever since. “When Easter comes he leaves you a special, special treat…” he smiles. Since his only focus has been on treats, I’ve been trying to explain why we really celebrate Easter—that we think about Jesus and how he died for us and was resurrected. Today after his nap he ran to me to say, “Mommy, Jesus tells us to celebrate Easter so I can celebrate Easter that I get treats!”

I was lying on the couch this afternoon (a rather typical position in my still yucky phase…) and Ryan pulled up my shirt to say, “There’s the baby!” Then he started kissing my tummy over and over and over and it tickled so I was laughing. That made my tummy shake and he did NOT like it. “Don’t!” he yelled sharply. “Stop getting all those funny things out!” That made me laugh again, and he tried to keep kissing. He made his angriest face ever and screamed, “Stop! Stop! Stop!” Then I told him he should talk to the baby instead of just kissing it. He leaned over, gave a small kiss, and said, “Hi baby. I’m your big brother Ryan. I sleep on the floor.” Then he ran away. Of all the important things to say to your up and coming sibling…

Later today Adam was talking about the baby and Ryan announced to us it was a SISTER. Adam asked what we should name the sister when she is born. Ryan responded without hesitation, “GaLAXie!” Well that’s a new one… Adam said he probably got it from the Atari game Galaxia that they have played together before.

On our way home from a friend’s house tonight we asked Ryan what the baby’s name should be if it’s a boy. “Ryan Adam Thompson,” he said. We explained several times why his brother couldn’t have the same name as him, but three more times in a row he insisted on the baby being named “Ryan Adam Thompson”. Finally he believed us that the baby needed a different name, so he said we should name him “Soccer Ball”. Nice.

4 comments:

  1. haha! Ryan is so cute! Can`t wait to meet baby sister Galaxie!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what GREAT news! And thanks for sharing all the fun about Ryan. What a cutie. Can't wait to mee GaLAXie, or Ryan the Younger, or whomever it turns out to be.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think his name choices are genius. He is a total crack up, and for that reason I love nursery. He keeps things funny for us.

    ReplyDelete